[QuadList] Restoring an RCA TR-600

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Thu May 28 09:56:13 CDT 2009

Hi, John,

Hope you're able to get things sorted out and running without a whole
lot of work.

If you have the ability to park a small video camera on a tripod and
describe what you're doing from time to time, that would be another
cool way  to document the rebuild.

Park's "narrated stills with motion" that he posted a link to youtube
is another great way to show what's going on.

In any case, Stills and text, V/O and pictures, motion video...
anything would be helpful to others that need to bring something back
to life.

Do you know/can you share the back story of the machines?  Serial
#'s... original location, etc? (When you have time :)

Thanks for sharing the story so far.

Ted

On May 28, 2009, at 7:45 AM, John Walko wrote:

> Steve, Park, others:
>
> As always, thanks for the advice.
>
> Yes, the sync generator we are using can provide both burst and
> subcarrier.
> We checked this a couple of times to make sure we had both cables
> connected
> to the proper input.  Originally we were using the original video
> cables on
> the machine, but then switched them out for our own.
>
> I won't have time to work on the machine until probably this
> weekend.  We
> are going to take an inventory of what is needed (fittings and such)
> and
> start solving the vacuum and air problems on both machines.  I'll
> keep you
> posted how it goes.
>
> Ted had a great idea...to capture the rebuild in pictures.  I am
> going to
> start that with this next go-round of work.
>
> John Walko

>>> 2.       We re-seated all the boards (with the machine powered off)
>>> 3.       We tried two different heads.both heads appear to have
>>> slight burnishing, but are not in bad shape.  Neither made a
>>> difference.
>>> 4.       One of our Engineers used to operate one of these machines
>>> years ago for a TV station he worked for.so he is somewhat familiar
>>> with it.but it was a long time ago.
>>> 5.       We have a second machine that is complete.but the air
>>> fittings are cracked (they appear to be nylon with push in
>>> connectors).  We also get no vacuum on that machine, so it would
>>> need some work before being operational.  Not sure why no vacuum.it
>>> could be related to the air leak or the vacuum pump.
>>> 6.       We have at least one spare of everything.and are willing to
>>> try some things to get this system operational.
>>> 7.       Both machines were taken out of service at about the same
>>> time.and haven't been operated in years.  One machine (the one we
>>> are working on) has 3200 hours on the machine.the other has about
>>> 5000 hours (the one that has the air leak).
>>>
>>> Any TR-600 experts interested in coming here to help?  We could
>>> discuss reimbursement for your time and travel.
>>>
>>> Please call me at 800-978-3445 or email me any thoughts that might
>>> be helpful (I.e. things to check/test/look for, etc.).
>>>
>>> Thanks;
>>>
>>> John Walko
>>> Media Archive Manager
>>> Scene Savers