[QuadList] Request for estimated value of a Mk20 Video Head for AVR1

Peter Ford pford at clear.net.nz
Sat Nov 28 12:09:44 CST 2009

Hi.

I seek advice from the group on the following:

For over 12 years my company has been contracted by NZFA to maintain and/or operate their vintage video recorders.  The collection includes a pair of Ampex AVR1......one was operational, the other used as a source of spares.

The larger, heavier machines are stored in the basement of the Archive.

Late last year an unknown person used a circular saw to cut up timber in the basement very close to the vintage VTR collection.  The air compressor sucked up a lot of dust and next time the AVR1 was operated an internal air filter clogged cutting off the head bearing supply.  This resulted in instant bearing seizure.

The damaged video head had very recently been exchanged and operating hours were very low.

When advised that restoring the AVR1 to operating condition again would be an expensive process the Archive decided not to proceed with their quad restoration programme.

The damaged video head assembly was the property of my company Avitek Electronics and I have unsuccessfully attempted to seek compensation.  However the Archive only wish to pay a prorata amount for the hours clocked up on this head whereas I am seeking full replacement or refurbishment cost.  To my knowledge no Mk20 Video heads have appeared for sale on the net over the last year, therefore the current value of a replacement head assembly can not be established.

Is anyone able to give me an estimate of the current value of a MK20 head and/or the current refurbishment cost?

Regards

Peter Ford