[QuadList] RCA Color Tape

Don Norwood dwnorwood at embarqmail.com
Tue Nov 10 10:09:30 CST 2009

John:

The first quads (from both Ampex and RCA) had no timebase correction, and relied totally on the stability of the electromechanical components to reproduce the signal with minimal timing errors.  However, this approach does not have the stability required to reproduce the color information without considerable errors which must be corrected by removing the jitter from the chroma signal.  At that time, the heterodyne system was the only known way to accomplish that and it was used until the introduction of Amtec and Colortec allowed for direct recovery of color thru electronic time base correction.

That being said, RCA and Ampex used different methods for the early color playback.  RCA used bandpass filters to separate the luma and chroma from the composite playback signal, then used a heterodyne process to remove the phase errors from the chroma and recombine it with the luma to form the corrected color composite output.  Ampex used a different approach and decoded the composite signal into Y, I & Q, and then re-encoded the signal using station reference 3.58.

Since in both systems the recording process was direct, a first generation LBC recording can be played back with fully phased color, but a second generation must be played back in the non-phased color mode.  However, I believe the original question may have had more to do with the other parameters of the early RCA system.  This obviously predated the low band color standard, and so different modulation frequencies, emphasis curves, etc. may have been used in the original machines.

Don