[QuadList] The Capacitor Chronicles

dbingley at bmts.com dbingley at bmts.com
Sat Nov 28 08:45:18 CST 2009

Thanks everyone for your input. After the first
post I was trying to figure out where to get a
30 A Variac, then Don explained that the 1200
has distribuuted power supplies (which also
explains why they have all those electrolytic
caps all over the machine. Duh - I should have
figured that out in the first place.I'd better
get a set of manuals and start reading!
I took a look at the capacitor values of the
various sub-assemblies and it looks like the
Colortec, Amtec and Velcomp have similar power
supplies.
Although it seems tht the caps should be OK I
think  that I'll try bringing up each sub-
assembly separately with a  Variac just to be on
the safe side.
I have a very good reason for doing so: Everyone
at the radio station already thinks I'm nuts for
dragging home these beasts - Comments range
from "have you noticed we only transmit audio"
to "Nice time machine Doug." If the first time I
power them up there is a loud bang and/or lotsa
smoke I'll never live it down.
BTW I never worked in engineering,although
before starting at a TV station I had a job as a
bench tech.and worked on small format VTR's. I
started as a lowly MCR Op and later a tape
editor. It seems surreal that I'm now dragging
out the power supplies, cards and poking around
in the back etc. I have this guilty feelig that
somone from maintenance is going to put in a
grievance..but this sure is fun!

Doug

-