[QuadList] Old jobs (was 7.5 ips experiences was AMPEX Mark Ten 5 mil head)

DCFWTX at aol.com DCFWTX at aol.com
Mon Nov 30 14:19:29 CST 2009

Hello Guy,

No, that is not me (I was in my second year of college at that time). That
was Leon, with a full time pipe in his mouth, even when cleaning the heads
(note bottle on the right side of the TR 70).

Yes, the room was everything technical (GE audio console, Vital switcher,
GE PE 350 CCU's, TK 10 CCU, etc.). The whole station was in a Quonset hut
next to the 500' tower. No direct network line. All incoming network programs
(the station was NBC/ABC/CBS) was via rotary dial-up to an off-the-air tuner
located east of Dallas, microwave hopped back to Tyler. They also had a
microwave hop to the sister station in Lufkin (also all three networks picking
up their feeds in similar fashion but from the Houston affiliates, on an
off-the-air Conrac tuner). In a pinch, the station could use a third Conrac
tuner to receive the network affiliates in Shreveport. What a kludge, but it was
the only way the station could receive network programming. That went on
into the 80's when finally the station went full time ABC via AT&T dedicated
line.

Needless to say, image quality was directly related to atmospheric
conditions at times.

David