[QuadList] Post a message and get a good story with TR-70 in action

Ted Langdell ted at tedlangdell.com
Thu Oct 15 18:18:43 CDT 2009

I had posted a notice about the AMIA Conference and our Quad dinner
to the Telecine Internet Group at the same time as my post to the
QuadList.

Just into my e-mail box is this message from Ian Richardson, who
attached a photo of a TR-70 in action at the Australian National Film
and Sound Archive in Canberra.

Here's his e-mail to me... and an invitation for Ian and his mate
George to join the fun and see your replies by subscribing to the
QuadList here:

Never know when someone may need his Smith Splicer or a trained hand
to use it :)

Ian:  Any chance the Xmas reel will see the light of YouTube or
another world-wide venue?

Ted.

Begin forwarded message:

> From: "Ian Richardson" <irichardson at cuttingedge.com.au>
> Date: October 15, 2009 3:37:32 PM PDT
> To: "Ted Langdell" <ted at tedlangdell.com>
> Subject: RE: [Tig] Association of Moving Image Archivists, St.
> Louis,MO. Nov. 3-7
>

> Greetings Ted
>
> Cheers to the Quad group
> Just a month ago I 'found' an old 2" tape of a TCN9 goof Xmas reel
> [Channel 9 TV in Sydney Aust] under my house. Recorded in the B&W days
> in 1971.
>
> My old Mate George Zerial came to the party and the full resources of
> the Australian Government were swung into action. George is at the
> Australian National Film and Sound Archive down there in Canberra.
> He fired up his trusty TR70 and lo, the tape was dubbed to Digi
> Betacam
> for me.
> I rarely get excited these days....there is something about quads that
> do that to you.
>
> I have attached a photo of the machine 'in action' during the
> transfer.
> Pass it on to the group and rest easy that Quads are alive down under.
>
> Regards from Oz
> Ian Richardson.
> Sydney
>
> p.s. and yes I do have a real and actual Splicer and the ediview
> and the
> Smith knife with the roller on the end for rolling down the splicing
> tape.
> And sadly I am old enough to remember how to use it.

Ted Langdell
flashscan8.us
209 East 12th Street
Marysville, CA 95901