[QuadList] On-camera interviews (Was Arthur Schneider)

DCFWTX at aol.com DCFWTX at aol.com
Sat Oct 31 09:59:31 CDT 2009

In a message dated 10/31/2009 7:22:44 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
DCFWTX at aol.com writes:

> >> If anyone on the list IS an aging pioneer or knows some in their area,
>> please consider recording your experiences or finding a way to do a
>> videotaped interview with them about their experiences.

The passing of Art and the recent death of another former NBC colleague
(who knew Lenticular and RCA Labs color history) does highlight the urgency to
get any and all of these on-camera historical perspectives under way today
and now. While we are blessed these days with long life for many of these
legends and in many times a conformable retirement, the stress of television
does tend to take it's toll on the mind. By this I mean sooner is better with
each of these individuals when it comes time to sitting down with them and
getting the story on tape. If quad tape is over 50 years old, and an
individual was 30 at the time of it's introduction in 1956 (or so), that puts the
individual in his 80's. Hence, time is of the essence.

One of these engineers who passed away here not too long ago had a garage
full of projects, many of them relating to his 40 plus years at the network.
The kids and grand children cleaned out everything that looked old. It is
unknown how much irreplaceable documentation and/or equipment was lost before
I got over there. This story is repeated many times over every year. About
10 years ago, I helped a widow of one of the engineering legends here in Los
Angeles at both their home and his storage area sort through some things.
Talk about a pack rat going back to VR 1000 days!  And I don't think he ever
got his day on camera for such recollections. Very sad.

So, the lesson learned here with all of these unique individuals fading
away is to get on with these interviews immediately. The group in N. Hollywood
(not the TV Academy) has been talking with producers, directors, and
engineers over the years, many of them going back to the live days in NYC and The
West Coast.

David Crosthwait

DC Video
Archived Media Transfer & Re-mastering Services
177 West Magnolia Blvd.
Burbank, CA. 91502
818-563-1073
818-563-1177 (fax)