[QuadList] Question about NBC color TZ delay prior to Quad

Dennis Degan DennyD1 at verizon.net
Wed Oct 28 11:38:59 CDT 2009

		On Oct 26, 2009, at 11:21 PM, Ted Langdell wrote:

 > Color kinescopes could also be made using color film, but I don't
have any handy info about what NBC did as a regular practice.

		I offer:

	Ted, I don't know what NBC did on the West Coast before videotape (my
guess is that they probably had a couple of color kine recording
systems to handle the fewer number of color programs that warranted
color time zone delay).  I think it should be noted that NBC Burbank
was built as a color facility, the first such purpose-built in the
company and was built before videotape of any kind was available.
	There are two scenarios of programming at the time that involved
delayed broadcasts: live West Coast-originated programs, and live East
Coast-originated programs.  The East Coast-originated programs were
possibly delayed in Burbank through color kine recordings or more
likely, B&W kines, thereby giving up the color in the programs.  The
West Coast-originated programs could have been performed twice; once
for the East and 3 hours later for the West.  This was very common and
done frequently for radio productions long before TV came along.	In
1978, I saw in service the last of NBC's kine recording systems near
the videotape maintenance shop where I worked in New York.  There were
3 setups in a room, each equipped with Sony Trinitron monitors.  I was
told that these systems were used to make films for air in Guam on a
1-week's delay.  I'm sorry I never took any pictures of it.

	  					NBC Today Show, New York