[QuadList] Question about NBC color TZ delay prior to Quad

bill.spencer at northstarstudios.tv bill.spencer at northstarstudios.tv
Wed Oct 28 13:23:13 CDT 2009

Park,

In early 68 we converted our kine recorder to color at WKNO in Memphis.
We subbed the kine work for MPL which had offices in Memphis and
Nashville.  The biggest client was NBC and what we did mostly was
transfer videotape to film for archiving as they were already aware that
videotape might not last as long as film for archival purposes.  We used
a modified Ball Brothers color monitor that ran in underscan to improve
the linearity and the HV was in hyperdrive to give really bright
pictures.  We used the same Palmer camera with air gate shutter that we
had used with mono kines.  There was a slight one line crawl every 12
seconds because we couldn't figure a way to sync it to color!  Later we
used a slave motor lock similar to double system sound to get the camera
to sync with color.  With the unusual brightness of the monitor (and who
knows how many X-rays it put out) and the air shutter we had the room
acoustically treated to absorb the noise.  When you hit go it sounded
like a 30cal. Going off (or an M-60 for us VN Vets) and we would jump
out and close the door real fast!

When I was at NBC for some RCA training in 70 we got a behind the scenes
look at how Laugh In was edited.  At the end of each days shooting they
would make kines of the tape.  The kines were then edited the old film
style way for the producers rough cut.  After the approval, the tape
pieces that corresponded to the film cut were all physically cut and
spliced just like film, then 3 copies were made; 2 for NY to air and 1
for backup in Burbank. The physically spliced master became the on-air
copy for the West Coast.  They said in all the years they did it that
way they only had one splice let go on-air.  Also, that show is why RCA
developed the 15Hz edit pulse for the TR-70 so the physical cuts on the
old Smith splicer would always be on the color frame and stop the
horizontal whips.

I can dispense copious quantities of useless bits of misinformation all
day!

Bill Spencer
RF Engineering Supervisor
NorthStar Studios, Inc.
3201 Dickerson Pike
Nashville, TN 37207

Phone 615.650.6000 ext. 6610
Cell 615.445.5616
Fax 615.650.6027
email bill.spencer at northstarstudios.tv

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE/HIPAA PRIVACY RULE: This message may contain
under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient (or
authorized to act on behalf of the intended recipient) of this message,
please do not disclose, forward, distribute, copy, or use this message
or its contents. If you have received this communication in error,
please notify us immediately by return e-mail and delete the original
message from your e-mail system. Thank you.