[QuadList] Arthur Schneider

DCFWTX at aol.com DCFWTX at aol.com
Fri Oct 30 16:07:40 CDT 2009

In a message dated 10/30/2009 11:48:15 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
pken at loc.gov writes:

> To Everyone,
> My name is Pat Kennedy and I am currently the Datacine Operator at the
> Library of Congress Packard Campus in Culpeper, Virginia. I've been here about
> 6 months now and am very happy to have gotten out of Hollywood when I did.
> My career goes back about 35 years when I began as a Telecine assist at
> TAV (Trans American Video) in Hollywood, at the old David Wolper studio on
> Vine St.
> My quad experience lasted about 5 years, till 1980 and the advent of 1"C
> machines. At about the same time I moved up from a Simplex projector and RCA
> film island  the the new Rank Cintel Flying Spot Scanners. I'm now running
> a Spirit Classic 2K and daVinci 2K Plus.
> I'd like to know who among the members knew, worked with or knew of Art
> Scneider. He started at NBC Burbank in 1951 as a kine recordist and editor.
> He worked on 1000s of kine over years, and in 1955-56 worked as a liason
> with APMEX in building the new quad machines. He then went on to physcially
> edit 100s of shows on tape, including at least 2 seasons of "Laugh In". He
> soon was involved in the new electronic edit systems of the early '60s and
> stayed at NBC until 1968.
> I met and worked with Art at Modern Videofilm inthe '80s, and have also
> worked with his son Bob, and daughtr Lori over years.
> Art passed away in Los Angeles back on Oct. 1st. He was 80.
> You can watch some interviews with Art about his career and history of
> early TV on the Archives of American Television website, or just Google
> "Arthur Schneider" for other stuff.
> He was an incredibly talented man and a great coworker. I'd like to see
> some tribute of him either through Archives, or perhaps here at the Library
> of Congress. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Pat Kennedy
> Library of Congress
> Packard Campus for Audio Visual Conservation
>
> Patrick Kennedy
> Datacine Operator
> PCAVC
> 1-202-707-0864, 1-202-707-0910

Pat,

Very sad news indeed. I talked with Art a few years ago by phone as he was
living in Ventura County. He was well aware of our commitment here at this
company, and there was talk of getting together. I'm sure George Schlatter is
sadden at the news. I also worked with Lori at Modern Videofilm (I think it
may have been Lori who gave me Art's home phone number).

During my tenure at NBC, I ran some of those 2" spliced Laugh-In masters,
and almost all of them had flawless, glitch free reproduction. If you watched
the show, you saw all of these "sock it me" gags among other routines.
There were hundreds of physical splices in these tapes. Hearing them pass
through the guides in fast rewind cannot be accurately conveyed here in writing.

Art was a legend!

David Crosthwait

DC Video
Archived Media Transfer & Re-mastering Services
177 West Magnolia Blvd.
Burbank, CA. 91502
818-563-1073
818-563-1177 (fax)