[QuadList] Correct Head Setting method

Chill315 at aol.com Chill315 at aol.com
Tue Sep 15 22:03:17 CDT 2009

I have followed the discussion as to how to set the head for correct
playback.  It is an interesting discussion.

I always used the AMTEC error on the VR-1200.  ATC error on the  RCA's.

Now the AVR 2 was a different beast.  You could set the error to the
lowest amount and still have issues.  We found that we had to do a couple  of
things.  First jumper the machine so it is in H lock at all times.   This made
the TBC work less.  Second was even after getting that head error  down to
as little as possible, there could be a residual error in the  picture.  We
looked at the vector scope and then would do a little tweak on  the head to
see if we could tighten up the dots.  Generally we could reduce  the spread
by about a third.  Thus it was the final quality of the picture  that was the
most critical.  When you had to go multi generations in  editing every
little trick helped.

Chris Hill