[QuadList] Rebuilding RCA TR-600s

Don Norwood dwnorwood at embarqmail.com
Tue Sep 8 19:36:54 CDT 2009

Hi John:

If this were an Ampex, I'd try to help with specifics but I'm afraid I've never worked on a TR-600.  However, I can offer some insight regarding the use of an external TBC.  You need to be aware that there were very few models of TBC's that would work with quad tape.  The vast majority of TBC's were designed to work with non-segmented formats, and consequently they do not work with the quad format.  Perhaps someone has a complete list of models that do work with quad.  The only ones that come to mind are the CVS-520, NEC NTC-5000 and the ADDA VW-2.  There were others modified to work with quad by Merlin and possibly others.

Don