[QuadList] Rebuilding RCA TR-600s

Don Norwood dwnorwood at embarqmail.com
Tue Sep 8 22:04:34 CDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Guy Spiller"

>I can't offer much help either, as I've never been around a working
> 600.  It apparently has very little in common with the earlier machines
> that I am familiar with.
> Don, the only ones I've ever seen "in the flesh" were those dead ones in
> Winston-Salem!  I don't even remember seeing them at NABs of old.
> Guy

There's an interesting story behind the TR-600's that Guy refers to.  About 3 to 4 years ago (before the existance of the quad list!) I tried to find a home for a pair of 600's, and never did locate anybody that would take them.  They were part of a "collection" of gear that had belonged to a retired engineer who had passed away.  The place was a sight to behold, with all sorts of "treasure" lurking in a semi-lit former studio space.  Among the other goodies were some TH-800 1" machines, the only specimens of those I'd ever seen along with crates of spare circuit boards for them!

I don't know whether they finally found someone to take the 600's or if they ended up going to the scrap-yard which is where a great deal of the stuff ended up.  My first contact with them was an attempt to save a VR-1200C, but it went to the dump before I could get to it!  I never saw the machine, but they gave me the model info off of the machine's nameplate, so I believe it must have actually been a C version.  What a shame.

Guy and I did rescue some goodies though including headwheels, new tape stock, a few spare TR-70 modules, some manuals, etc.  All in all, we had a couple of SUV's packed full.  To give you an idea of what the place was like, here's a shot of one of the 600's, taken from a "safe distance" (with a flash of course!).........