[QuadList] Rebuilding RCA TR-600s

Dennis Degan DennyD1 at verizon.net
Thu Sep 10 09:33:00 CDT 2009

		On Sep 9, 2009, at 7:25 PM, Rob Lingelbach wrote:

 > Yes indeed.  I was there 1976-1983 at 510 w. 57th and also down the
alley at Studio 2 between MPCS and CBS.   It was kind of a college of
Film and TV production and post-production for me; John T. was one of a
few leading figures.  Others were Art Dome, Ted Dunn, Thom Forbes,
Frank Herold, Al Geisler, Ron Ranieri, Paul Dougherty.

		I now say:

	I knew of Al, Ron and Art but I don't think I met them or knew them
very well.  The others I did not know except for Paul.  I've known Paul
for about 29 years now.  We both worked at Reeves/Teletape in the early
'80's, about the time you worked at Unitel.  He called me one night
asking if I'd like to be in a "Chic" music video he was going to be
directing.  I was the only one from Reeves that showed up.  I appear in
the video as a messenger dispatcher, handing a very important envelope
to a slacker messenger, then shaking my head in disgust as he takes it.
  That was my only on-camera appearance.
	At Unitel, I edited in the "new" building mostly.  But there was one
edit room left in 510 that we worked in occasionally, Edit Room 4, in
the basement.  For a long time, that room belonged mostly to Tierney
where he cut a lot of Sesame Street segments as well as the Crazy Eddie
spots.  The room was connected to 515 with fiber optic tie lines that
ran under 57th Street.

		Rob said:

 > aha.  Then there would be many others whom we both know.   Funny
thing was, I spent 7 years at Editel L.A. starting in 1990, and then
Unitel bought Editel, so then I was working for the same guys again
(Barry, Al, Herb).

		I agree:

	Same thing sorta happened to me in New York.  One of the people that
worked at Editel, NY was an old friend from NBC.  After the sale, he
came over to 515 to work with us.  Tim Dwight.

		I previously reported:

>  Some of those TR-600's ended their life as dubbing machines in the
> Unitel dubbing room at the back of 515 West 57th Street, across the
> street from the original Unitel building.

		Rob continued:

 > ah, right.  Dubbing was my penance for wanting to get into editing.
I spent 8 months in sheer hell on the night shift 10pm to 6am (often
until 9-10am) running up to 15 2-inch machines with 90 minute reels,
shipping out 500 or more dubs of inane commercials like Stouffer's
frozen dinners or....  they really became absurd when you had to watch
the playback constantly 100 times for signs of trouble, while running
those 15 record machines, timing your record run between floors so that
the formatting of the copies would go without a hitch.

		I empathize:

	My rite of passage was similar at Reeves.  I was an engineer until
1980, maintaining the 2-inch quads at Reeves and at NBC before that.
To get into operations, I had to dub spots all night long for a couple
of years.  My shift was 12 Midnight to 8am.  That was the worst 2 years
of my life.  But I used my time well, practicing with CMX, trying out
various things on ADO, etc. between dub setups.
	There are pictures of Unitel 515 taken in 1998, just before it was
closed (unfortunately, I never shot any pictures of 510) at my Flickr
photo site, if you're interested:
	<http://www.flickr.com/photos/dennisdegan/sets/72157600587806665/?
page=3>
	Rob, you and I have a lot in common.