[QuadList] Rebuilding RCA TR-600s - Success

Rob Lingelbach rob at colorist.org
Thu Sep 10 14:16:24 CDT 2009

Hi John,

great story about the electricians.   They're an engaging lot.

On Sep 10, 2009, at 4:06 PM, John Walko wrote:

> 2.      System runs better in manual track mode as compared to auto
> track mode.

is this referring to maximizing the RF envelope?  forgive me if I
missed an earlier
reference to this.   If indeed it is the RF, I always found on the
TR600 I got a wider
-vertically- (therefore more stable) wfm in manual.

> 5.      We were running a 1-hour tape.  The reel brakes need some
> adjustment, as the mass of this reel was just too much for the brake
> to stop it by itself.  This also caused tension issues.  But,
> switching to spot reels caused less problems (we originally thoughts
> the brakes weren’t working at all…but it just appears as if they
> need some adjustment).

the tension arms are not going into oscillation, and more or less
centered?  that's an accomplishment, if I recall correctly, the TR600
was more sensitive to reel sizes than the Ampexes were.

--
Rob Lingelbach
rob at colorist.org