[QuadList] Rebuilding RCA TR-600s - Success

John Walko jwalko at scenesavers.com
Thu Sep 10 14:39:45 CDT 2009

Rob:

When first starting the tape, the tension arms have some minor oscillation,
but once the tape locks up, they remain pretty much centered.  The one issue
I noticed is if the supply reel is full (just starting playback) and the
take up reel is empty, we have more tension issues.  Spot reels are a lot
easier to work with.  We are trying to match reel sizes as closely as
possible.but are having trouble because we don't have a take up reel as
large as a one-hour supply reel.  We will need to get one.

When adjusting reel (servo) tension according to the manual (it tells you
how to do it using the scope), the tension seemed way to tight.  In fact,
the tension arms were almost against the stop.  We backed off slightly and
are adjusting the tension to try to keep the arms centered between the two
stops.

Regarding maximizing the RF envelope, the video just seems to look better
when running in manual.

John