[QuadList] Rebuilding RCA TR-600s - Success

bill.spencer at northstarstudios.tv bill.spencer at northstarstudios.tv
Fri Sep 11 08:22:20 CDT 2009

John,

They are sort of self lubricating in that the piston is graphite based.
All I have ever done is clean the glass tube and look for wear.  If some
gunk from compressed dust bunnies, etc. gets in there they can not move
as smooth as they should and cause some bumps on the reels coming up to
speed.

There are also some electronic adjustments for reel tension and I have
found that the instructions in the manual are a good starting point, but
you sort of have to cheat for each machine to compensate for various
wear factors in the loop.  I try to make my adjustments with an hour
reel of tape wound half and half (or in the middle if you prefer) so the
loads are balanced between supply and takeup.  I don't have my Tentel
tension gauge any more so it is more just what looks right to my eye.
Another thing that is affected by the reel tensions is the rewind and
fast forward speed when winding tape.  To get mine playing good in
normal run the rewind is kind of slow, but I usually just run it off and
rewind on the Recortec cleaner.  It saves a little wear also on all the
fixed guides!

Sounds like you are doing great on your project.

Bill Spencer

RF Engineering Supervisor

NorthStar Studios, Inc.

3201 Dickerson Pike

Nashville, TN 37207

Phone 615.650.6000 ext. 6610

Cell 615.445.5616

Fax 615.650.6027

email bill.spencer at northstarstudios.tv

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE/HIPAA PRIVACY RULE: This message may contain
under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient (or
authorized to act on behalf of the intended recipient) of this message,
please do not disclose, forward, distribute, copy, or use this message
or its contents. If you have received this communication in error,
please notify us immediately by return e-mail and delete the original
message from your e-mail system. Thank you.