[QuadList] Rebuilding RCA TR-600s - Success

John Walko jwalko at scenesavers.com
Fri Sep 11 09:30:45 CDT 2009

Ted:

Oh...you caught that, huh?

I am sitting here laughing out loud.

Amazing what those containers can be used for...that particular one contains
99.9% anhydrous alcohol...great for cleaning head wheels and guides...but
don't let it get onto your tapes because it is also great at removing
binder.  It's a little bit that I stole from our film cleaning operation.

I think we have from Freon around here too...but I didn't have any with me
at the place where we are operating these systems.

Speaking of such...I noticed something yesterday.  We were playing and
rewinding that tape quite a bit for testing purposes.  I have a
test/alignment tape, but we didn't want to keep using it for our testing.
After a couple hours of playing, we starting getting drop outs in the video.
These appeared to be constant and were at the exact same location on the
video monitor.  I figured it had to be dirt on the heads.  Sure enough...we
thoroughly cleaned the heads and the problem went away.

I'm used to smaller heads (such as 3/4" U-Matics); when they clog...the
video signal pretty much goes away.  It is nice with these larger heads that
you can see the problem developing.  Typically we clean heads and guides
after each tape pass, but with the testing yesterday, we weren't doing that.

Now the real question...I've got some spare head wheels.  One is suspected
bad (this assembly was rebuilt by Spin Physics in the past, but the lower
arm on the head assembly (I guess it is a vacuum arm) is loose).  Another
head assembly seems to be marginal.  I know there was a discussion about the
companies who rebuild the heads and how much longer they will be in
business.  I am thinking I might bite the bullet and go ahead and have a
couple of these re-built while I still can.  What are the general thoughts
about how much longer this service will still be available.  My issue is
this...if it is a couple thousand dollars to rebuild these...I'd like to
wait as long as I can...but that might not be the best course of action.

I've worked with Ahead-Tec in the past.  Who else should I be talking with
about these particular head assemblies?

Thanks;

John Walko
Scene Savers