[QuadList] Bill's AVR-2 bridge switcher

Don Norwood dwnorwood at embarqmail.com
Tue Sep 15 18:54:27 CDT 2009

Ted:

Sorry I misunderstood your question!  I assume the switch arrangement on the AVR-2 was an economy move by Ampex.  The video does indeed pass through the switches, just as it did in the VR-1000.  In the VR-1200 and 2000, the switch is just a control for a sealed relay that does the actual switching of the signal.

On the earlier "economy" machine from Ampex, the VR-1100, there was even less expense because there was no monitor switcher a all!  Typically, the A/B input switch on the monitoring equipment wa used to select either demod or line out.  When we upgraded some 1100's, we would install a single rack unit switcher from Dynair to handle the monitoring.  All the components of the machine were the same as the other models, so the signals were there, it was just a matter of cabling them to the switcher.

Don