[QuadList] QuadList Digest, Vol 22, Issue 27

rabruner at aol.com rabruner at aol.com
Thu Apr 15 23:16:19 CDT 2010

When new technologies come through the door, they are frequently not offered to older workers.  Management draws a line between the new "computers' and the old "tape machines" and offers what little orientation and training is given to office girls and interns instead of experienced operational people.  Then when they have have cleared the landscape of the "old school people who couldn't adapt," you get all the blessings of robotic cameras -- lousy camera work, the same shot everyday at the same point in every show, talent trying to rock around to get in the shot, or every shot super loose so that it's not obvious the framing is wrong or that the video is out of focus, almost no motion in the cameras at all because nobody trusts them to be stable when you try to move them live, and the inexperienced people who operate the console often don't have the knowledge to improve the shots anyway.
    Then when you have the on air look of the station determined by the low rent help over in the office pool you get all the blessings of full station automation, competing spots hard cut video to video, upcut programs, wildly varying audio levels, wrong events on the air like yesterday's promos today, long periods of black when the computer doesn't understand what the log service in Freakistan put into the list and the maintenance guy has to drive in from the suburbs to the 'lights out' master control and on and on.  Yes, it's certainly good we've gotten those expensive old farts out of the way so we can have all these new cheaper ways of doing things.
Bob Bruner
W9TAJ