[QuadList] Mains frequencies, control, similarities to genlocking

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Sat Apr 10 13:21:36 CDT 2010

On Apr 10, 2010, at 10:53 AM, Chuck Reti wrote:

> Not documented anywhere I've looked, but wonder if 60Hz might have
> been chosen since it correlates with 60sec/min - 60min/hr timekeping.
> Did make it easier to do electric clocks!
> --
> Chuck Reti
> Detroit MI

Keeping time with motor-based clocks is an interesting situation. See
the link and text below.

The process has some elements of pre-framesync Genlock... (Think
rubidium) and since this is Saturday, would have been something
networks were doing with sports events from remote locations.

Googling "Genlock Remotes" brought up a 2009 patent application by
CISCO, the data router people in regard to Genlocking remote video
sources:
http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/en/wo.jsp?WO=2009105593&IA=US2009034598&DISPLAY=STATUS

Genlock and framesyncs turn up in the April "CBS Retirees Ramblings"
here:
http://www.cbsretirees.com/blog/blogger.html

You'll see a couple of items from Harold Deppe (Sr.,) who was in
Maint. at CBS in NYC and is on the QuadList.  We may have the only
Father/Son pair of engineers on a video-related discussion list, for
all I know.

Back to power for a tad:

The section below on Frequency and Load has me wondering whether it
would be practical to monitor the powerline freq., with limit alarms
to indicate that a power "event" like a brownout, load shed or
blackout was about to happen.

Ted

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utility_frequency#Long-term_stability_and_clock_synchronization
Long-term stability and clock synchronization
Regulation of power system frequency for timekeeping accuracy was not
commonplace until after 1926 and the invention of the electric clock
driven by a synchronous motor. Network operators will regulate the
daily average frequency so that clocks stay within a few seconds of
correct time. In practice the nominal frequency is raised or lowered
by a specific percentage to maintain synchronization. Over the course
of a day, the average frequency is maintained at the nominal value
within a few hundred parts per million.[17] In the synchronous grid of
Continental Europe, the deviation between network phase time and UTC
is calculated at 08:00 each day in a control center in Switzerland,
and the target frequency is then adjusted by up to ±0.02% from 50 Hz
as needed, to ensure a long-term frequency average of exactly
24×3600×50 cycles per day is maintained.[18] In North America,
whenever the error exceeds 10 seconds for the east, 3 seconds for
Texas, or 2 seconds for the west, a correction of ±0.02 Hz (0.033%) is
applied. Time error corrections start and end either on the hour or on
the half hour.[19][20] A dynamicdemand.co.uk/grid - Real-time
frequency meter for power generation in the United Kingdom is
available online. Smaller power systems may not maintain frequency
with the same degree of accuracy.

Frequency and load
The primary reason for accurate frequency control is to allow the flow
of alternating current power from multiple generators through the
network to be controlled. The trend in system frequency is a measure
of mismatch between demand and generation, and so is a necessary
parameter for load control in interconnected systems.
Frequency of the system will vary as load and generation change.
Increasing the mechanical input power to a synchronous generator will
not greatly affect the system frequency but will produce more electric
power from that unit. During a severe overload caused by tripping or
failure of generators or transmission lines the power system frequency
will decline, due to an imbalance of load versus generation. Loss of
an interconnection, while exporting power (relative to system total
generation) will cause system frequency to rise. AGC (automatic
generation control) is used to maintain scheduled frequency and
interchange power flows. Control systems in power plants detect
changes in the network-wide frequency and adjust mechanical power
input to generators back to their target frequency. This counteracting
usually takes a few tens of seconds due to the large rotating masses
involved. Temporary frequency changes are an unavoidable consequence
of changing demand. Exceptional or rapidly changing mains frequency is
often a sign that an electricity distribution network is operating
near its capacity limits, dramatic examples of which can sometimes be
observed shortly before major outages.
Frequency protection relays on the power system network sense the
decline of frequency and automatically initiate load shedding or
tripping of interconnection lines, to preserve the operation of at
least part of the network. Small frequency deviations (i.e.- 0.5 Hz on
a 50 Hz or 60 Hz network) will result in automatic load shedding or
other control actions to restore system frequency.
Smaller power systems, not extensively interconnected with many
generators and loads, will not maintain frequency with the same degree
of accuracy. Where system frequency is not tightly regulated during
heavy load periods, the system operators may allow system frequency to
rise during periods of light load, to maintain a daily average
frequency of acceptable accuracy.[21][22]