[QuadList] Mains frequencies, control, similarities to genlocking

Steve Spears stevespears at kel.com
Sun Apr 11 03:10:13 CDT 2010

Brian...

It's interesting that you should mention that, because that's precisely an event that Akai in japan went through (by their own rotten doing) from about 1963 to 1968.

They sold the Akai tape recorders in the U.S. under the Roberts label. In 63, while still in high school I worked at Westlake TV and HiFi in Daly City, just outside of San Francisco. A Navy nuclear sub docked and a whole bunch of sailors came to the store looking for warranty repair on their Akai tape recorders, all with burnt out power transformers. The same problem we were seeing with a slew of Roberts decks. Akai had tried to cut some corners on the assembly line with some of the 50hz power transformers and it backfired. Or maby I should say..."backsmoked".

When I was stationed in Japan from 1965 to 1967, I was able to learn all about the real background of Akai, from the japanese people themselves, and it was'nt pretty. Akai was just a brand that was really born for the "Kanazawa" HiFi circuit, a contract company that ran the electronics department up and down the country in all the  U.S. base exchanges. Two company's in particular stood out, that mainstream Japanese consumers would'nt touch with a ten foot pole. Akai, and Sansui.  Purely junk, and peddled to the U.S. military as being really high class.

I opened up a Sansui 1000 receiver one time, the one that sold more than any of their other products. The first thing that set off some red flags...the auxiliary AC receptacles on the back, were wired with #22 solid hookup wire. The same stuff I was using on my American Flyer trains as a kid.  Fine for the amplifier circuitry, but not quite AC accessory outlet proper.

A friend of mine at Ashiya, that ran the local TV and Stereo and Appliance store, got me a copy of the Sansui annual report, a nice little color booklet that showed all of it's divisions and products. Their primary productline and business, was AC power distribution equipment for the public utilities. Sort of like GE or Westinghouse or Allis-Chalmers here in the U.S.  Transformers, oil circuit breakers and the like. In the very back of the annual report, 1 page with pictures and description saying basically "and we're also in the consumer hi-fi business with a few products". Like Akai. Sansui audio gear was very seldom bought by the Japanese people because they knew better.

All the best to all of you,

Steve Spears
Orrs Island, Maine
www.kel.com