[QuadList] Audio-Video preservation - How To?

Dale Lamm dlamm1 at neo.rr.com
Sun Apr 11 22:47:52 CDT 2010

2010 finds me as Dir of Engineering at a legacy AM/FM pair that has led our
smaller-sized radio market forever. Our 85th anniversary is this year, and
with short notice, promotions is planning an 85th birthday bash. All hands
are on deck. We have much printed historical matter now being scanned to
later be posted on our web site, including a series of FCC licenses from
1932 onwards (authorizing a whopping 10 watts at 1200 KC; we're now 15 KW at
1480 KHz). The station went on the air in 1925, but those licenses (if they
even existed) are not to be found.

Because the "chief" is allegedly pretty clever, he has been given the job of
designing a time capsule that will preserve today's history for another 85
years. A synthetic container and preservation-quality bond paper, dessicant,
poly bags, etc from a commercial "time capsule" vendor have been identified
and will be procured. A stable property location will be drilled so the
container may be buried below the local frost line. A stone tablet similar
to a flush-mount grave marker is being obtained to identify the site. I'm
considering flooding the container with nitrogen or argon gas prior to
sealing it before burial.

This group is a resource I trust when seeking answers to technical
questions. The level of smarts here is amazing. TV (and especially
quadruplex maintenance) took a lot of brains back in "our" day and age. I am
sorry that these questions come just as many of you are heading off to NAB,
but that's just the way it goes. Any input or comment appreciated. I know
this is a QUAD list, not a historical preservation discussion group,
although there has been a fair amount of discourse on said topics this year.
Answer where you feel appropriate, either to the list or direct to
dlamm at whbc.com.

Q1: Given archive-quality paper that is designed to last many years, how
would you print on it, ink-jet or laser printer? I want to give every
current employee at the stations two sheets of 8.5 by 11 to write whatever
they wish.

Q2: Assume some folks desire to leave photographs. Best to use a commercial
lab's prints on good old Kodak paper? Or print it myself with the best
ink-jet and the forementioned archive-quality paper?

Q3: (the big one) We want to preserve recored audio, maybe even a taste of
video. One twit said "just burn a DVD". I can't even find a working 8-track
cartridge player 40 years after the format peaked. Does anyone think a DVD
player will be easy to find in 2095? Two thoughts came to mind... Dub to a
Philips cassette, and bury a playback machine with a schematic in the
container. Second thought was to copy all content to a few flash-based
personal playback units. Bury those with simple diagrams telling how many
volts to stick in and what button to push. Hopefully, the flash memory in
one of the units will hold it's content for 85 years.

Many thanks in advance. Birthday bash is April 22.