[QuadList] VR-2000 training tape

Frank Beach frank at altruistmedia.com
Thu Apr 15 11:41:07 CDT 2010

David,

I wonder what the Library of Congress (LoC) would have to say about the validity of that copyright since the old Ampex is no longer.  I may have a way of finding out for you.

I am working with Steve Nease at LoC's Packard Campus on courseware for the VR-2000B--along with a longer range Knowledge Base on quads in general.  I would see no conflict with the law if the Library of Congress and interested parties found the use of the content of use for educational and preservation purposes--kind of like the fair usage laws that apply to media organizations.  After all, LoC is the organization that issued the copyright.  If fair use applies those tapes could probably come into use by parties collaborating with the LoC to preserve the content of the Library's collection of 2" tape.

Shall I see what the LoC's policy would be?

Frank Beach
Creative Director
2601A Wilson Blvd.,
Arlington, VA  22201 USA