[QuadList] RCA 2 channel (8 head)

Don Norwood dwnorwood at embarqmail.com
Mon Apr 19 12:59:55 CDT 2010

Ted and Dennis:

Yes, it is, and as Dennis already knows, Ampex made both single channel (4 head) and dual channel (8 head) versions of the FR-900 series.  While all of the heads I included in the pics are basically designed like what we are accustomed to seeing, there were some airborne models that looked quite different.  As far as I know, the transverse scan instrumentation recorder formats were unique to each particular model series, and so there was not a standard that allowed interchange of tapes among different models outside of a particular manufacturer's series.  In other words, recordings made on an RCA GT-200 could not be played on an Ampex FR-900.  But the GT-200 had a very unique feature.  The octaplex head could be removed, and a standard quad head installed, and the machine would then record standard quad format videotapes!

Don Norwood
Digitrak Communications, Inc.
www.digitrakcom.com