[QuadList] Simulating vintage camera looks

Scott Thomas scottgfx at mac.com
Fri Aug 13 00:46:22 CDT 2010

Several years ago I made an animated open for our feature reporter's stories. Because it was the 50th Anniversary year of the station, I wanted to make it kind of a look back to that era. I modeled an old RCA television in 3D and tried to make the reporter look like he was shot with an IO camera. Wish I had more time to work on it and make it look more real, but it was still fun. I even found a Formica pattern from the era to put into the scene. :)

I should take some of my modern footage and see if I can get something close to a TK-41 look. The Canon 5D MkII has an image sensor larger than a 35mm movie camera, so that gets us closer to the shallow depth-of-field of the IO camera. The Canon just has all kinds of sampling errors, creating moiré' artifacts.