[QuadList] AVR-2 questions

Chill315 at aol.com Chill315 at aol.com
Mon Dec 6 17:30:56 CST 2010

A couple of answers for questions.

The TBC was an 8 bit device.  It had a few issues that with proper
tweaking would look good.  The best thing to do was to feed a ramp signal  into the
machine and verify the ramp was smooth.  It did make a  difference.

The error out was minimal.  We adjusted the guide on every tape.   We
always looked at the vector scope to reduce the spread of the dots.   This gave
us a few more generations.  It was a very slight difference but  you could
reduce the error to about the 2 percent box.  Other wise you  had a few more
percent error.

The machines that I had started at serial number 510 and ended at  969.
The last digits of the serial number.  They were produced for a  number of
years more.

The biggest thing that was never really fixed 100 percent with the upgrades
 was the triac assembly and reel handling.  The last version was not that
much better in my humble opinion.

Our biggest issue with tape handling was during editing.  We used both  the
RA-4000 and CMX 340 editors with I squared interfaces.  With a big reel  of
tape, the machine just could not operate smoothly at either end of the
reel.  Once the sizes were away from that point, it was very smooth.   Setting
the Triac was a compromise no matter what you did.

There was an issue with the RA-4000 that resulted in a field mod.  The
AVR-2 had such a good capstan servo that it could get the tape to appear to
sync  to the RA-4000.  All the RA-4000 needed was one frame to match time code
wise.  The boost was sometimes still on in the machine and the RA-4000
would release the AVR-2 from Tape Speed Override and the boost would pull the
tape ahead a frame or two.  This would only happen less than 10 percent of
the time but a match frame was impossible to do at that point.  Drove us
crazy for a long time.  Field Engineer Frank Davis and I got it down to  this
and a mod was generated.

Chris Hill
WA8IGN