[QuadList] Mechanical Splices

David Crosthwait david at dcvideo.com
Thu Dec 2 09:21:22 CST 2010

Steve,

Here is the Ampex supplied edit powder.

Some editors were better than others, but those who could splice without a servo disturbance or color phase flip are worth their weight in gold as far as I am concerned.

David
DC Video

On Dec 2, 2010, at 7:04 AM, Steve Greene wrote:

> I had heard that they usually "developed" tracks using a solvent containing fine iron powder, so they could cut at field lines for the video.  The control track "should" be in-phase and not jump, if you cut precisely.  The audio was a different story.
>
> Of course, playing back spliced tapes always seemed like a crap-shoot to me.  Every time I went over a splice, I held my breath for $2000 worth of quad heads.
>

> Steve Greene
> Archivist
> Office of Presidential Libraries
> (301) 837-1772>>> David Crosthwait <david at dcvideo.com> 12/2/2010 9:32 AM >>>
>
>> "you tend to be pleased if they play without frame rolls" Agreed!
>

> Yes, I have spliced 2" tape also, and have made some recently in preparing tape for transfer. It's just part of the routine here.
>
> In my opinion, any sort of physical "L" cut would mean cutting the video first, where the incision would extend only to within the last few millimeters of the top of the 2" tape where the audio track resides, then precisely making a 90 degree cut to the "in sync" audio down the tape, and finishing the incision with a second 90 degree cut. Then, that exact cut (mirrored) would have to be made to the "B" side, to make a proper and seamless mate. Respectfully, I don't see this happening. And if so, it certainly would warrant a round of drinks at the Tiki Room for all the hear the story of success.
>
> <Mail Attachment.jpeg>
> This guy will be happy if the routine splice works. No fancy stuff.
>
> David
>

> On Dec 2, 2010, at 2:31 AM, Trevor Brown wrote:
>
>> Having made physical splices on quad tapes, you tend to be pleased if they play without frame rolls, yes the sound edit is about half a second after the video edit, and in theory  it could  to be cured by an L splice, but then the top of the L would be 9" long,. (for a sound and picture cut in the same place)
>> So I think the L splice is a concept that,  but would not in practice have been carried out by a physical  L cut in the tape, which would be almost impossible to perform, and would be rather hard on the head wheel which would scan across the top of  L,  getting on for 500 head passes, ( could be expensive in terms of head ware)
>> I suspect buy some sort of audio lift, or parallel audio recording although the dates you quote are very early for anything along these lines
>> TrevorB
>> UK Member

David Crosthwait
DC Video
Archived Media Transfer and Re-mastering Services
177 West Magnolia Blvd.
Burbank, CA. 91502
818-563-1073
818-563-1177 (fax)