[QuadList] good thing video came along.....

David Crosthwait david at dcvideo.com
Mon Dec 6 08:39:19 CST 2010

NBC TV (probably as well as CBS & ABC) West coast divisions had one full time incoming AT&T video network line from the East and one full time line going West to East (i.e. NBC Burbank to 30 Rock). From my personal experience at NBC Burbank, that line sat with NBC Burbank color bars full time until SC (Switching Central) asked Burbank transmission to put something up on the line to go East. For example, Net A&P (Advertising & Promotion) Burbank produced most of the prime time promos for the network, while New York did all daytime i.e. Soap promos and NBC Sports promos. When net A&P needed to send a timely spot (most usually were) to NY, an order was placed with BOC (Broadcast Operations Coordination) and SC to assign a VTR (2" or 1") and  an operator, to playback the promo or set of promos via videotape, through transmission to the East outbound line. SC co-ordinated with 30 Rock to have someone there receive the incoming feed from Burbank. It was all very organized, as it had to be. Likewise, if Net News (Net EJ) in Burbank had a timely news piece to send East, the same arrangement was made to send it via the Eastbound line.  The same line was used for live shots for Nightly News from West to East.
The Tonight Show had exclusive rights to the line from about 8:15 P.M. till after 10 P.M. to feed Carson West to East.

I say all of the above to make a point, that being before the days of C band satellite, Vietnam news (or any other Asia material) needing a timely delivery NY would hit the West Coast facility first where fast color processing was available. Then it could be sent East to HQ in NY. A hot news item could be rolled from telecine (TK 26, 27 etc.) to the East outbound line, and be integrated into a live news program, feeding the entire U.S., from Burbank.  Therefore, the three networks did not have to lease lines on an item by item basis, as far as I know.
When the NBC Ku system was installed in the early 80's, the flexibility for in/out of the West Coast was greatly expanded and the leased AT&T lines were eventually abandoned.

David
www.dcvideo.com