[QuadList] Ampex RA-4000

Bill Carpenter wcarpen107 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 24 16:00:35 CST 2010

Hi Chris,

In the days that SMPTE time code was being finalized, the code was to be 72 or
maybe 75?

Stan Busby of Ampex reviewed the documentation, some which was offered by one of
the early time code equipment designers,

which may have been ECCO.
He created a very strong counter proposal to move it up to 80 bits.

Ampex and others were working on 75 bit code devices and everyone realized that
Stan was right and everything was changed,
including equipment being tested in the field.

I will ask Stan about those times the next time I see him.

Bye for now, Bill Carpenter