[QuadList] Mobile Quad VTRs

Peter Ford pford at clear.net.nz
Tue Feb 9 13:33:16 CST 2010

Hi Ian & the group

Got your pics now thanks......  I've sent you an email direct.

When I was at the Tv One centre at Avalon, Wellington (now Television New
Zealand) we used to wheel an AVR2 (and air compressor) into the back of a
Bedford Truck and used it in conjunction with the outside broadcast truck.

The guys at the Christchurch studio did the same thing.  One night the
Christchurch crew recorded a celebrity dinner for replay on TV One from
Avalon.  However when we received the quad tapes and checked them, the
picture kept jumping sideways and was rejected for transmission.

The result was an investigation into what went wrong.  Eventually discovered
that someone had played with the SPG in the Christchurch OB van and had
turned off the 25 Hz burst offset (Only applicable to PAL).  Everything
looked ok during recording and during a check replay at the venue.  The
problem only showed up when the tapes were played at the transmission centre
(SPG in "normal" mode).

TBCs use leading edge of sync and third cycle of burst as Luminance and
Colour references.  In the PAL system burst is locked to horizontal sync
with a 25 Hz offset so that if strobing occurs the strobing lines are
diagonal rather than vertical and therefore less objectionable.  Thus the
cycles of burst constantly move in relation to H sync with a repitition rate
of every eight field.  A good idea but a problem for tape machines.  In PAL
tape editing can be done following the 4 field sequence as per NTSC but for
Animation editing the 8 field sequence had to be followed to avoid a
sideways jump at the edits.

Peter Ford