[QuadList] High Chroma, Intercarrier buzz

georgenann at aol.com georgenann at aol.com
Fri Feb 12 15:02:28 CST 2010

Hey guys,

I had aproblem with that stuff also.

During the taping of one of those "Hollywood Gossip" shows which was being done at CBS, (Not Aired On CBS) the director was telling the VO to bring up the chroma to make the "Girl" look better.

They were feeding D-2 to tape and D-1 back to the studio and A-D perhaps in the studio.  The set also had a highly saturated "Orange" kind of color.  All of this drove the WFM right up thru the top of the scope.  It also drove all the A-D and D-2 to D-1 conversions absolutely crazy.

The VO kept telling me that that is how the Dir. wanted it.

Finally I went to the director and got his attention by telling him that all of this is going to kill the shows ratings.  He then asked me what's up? I then explained that all of this chroma is going to cause "Intercarrier Buzz", not just from the New York transmitter, but that cable systems exaggerate this buzz and nobody wants to watch anything with that kind of buzz. (I don't see why anyone would watch that crap in the first place). There after the chroma was toned down and they put in a subdued blue in the background. I also suggested trying a diffusion filter on the girl, he didn't want to.

G. Keller