[QuadList] QuadList Digest, Vol 20, Issue 105

Tom Werner tom at soptv.org
Thu Feb 25 09:55:27 CST 2010

quadlist at quadvideotapegroup.com writes:
>   2. Re: Early CMX Documentation (Trevor Brown)

The CMX 600 was the first CMX editing system developed in 1969. It made
its debut at NAB in 1970. The CMX 600 was very far ahead of its time
because not only was it the first off-line editor, it was also truly
non-linear. It was very expensive, with a complete system including the
assembler portion costing close to $500,000. There were only 6 systems
built including the prototype, one was a PAL system sold to Rank Studios
in London. There were 3 systems in New York, CBS, EUE Screengems, and
Teletronics. There were  2 systems in Hollywood, CBS, and CFI, with the
CFI system ending up at Trans American Video for a while. To my knowledge
there is only one system left, it's in my shop here in Southern Oregon.
The system in my shop was originally the CBS New York system which was
bought by One Pass in San Francisco and when finally taken out of service,
ended up with me.

This relic needs to be in a museum, but since it's so big, there have been
no takers. Anyone know of any possibilities?

Tom Werner
Southern Oregon Public Television
Medford, OR
541-779-0808