[QuadList] Was ACR-225, Now ACR-25 Stereo Mod

Dennis Degan DennyD1 at verizon.net
Wed Feb 3 09:43:34 CST 2010

		On Feb 2, 2010, at 12:21 PM, C. Park Seward wrote:

> MTV started up with ACR-25s playing all the music videos. Fred
> Reinstein told me they first operated out of his Production Group
> offices in Hollywood.

		I recalled:

	I heard about that at the time.  They had a stereo mod I'd love to see.

		On Feb 3, 2010, at 7:59 AM, Trevor Brown wrote:

 > The sound was bad enough with narrowing the track to fit another one
in, I cannot remember if we tried it but did not buy or just talked
about it but we did not have it fitted.

		I conclude:

	The sound was bad, but considering the fact that it was more important
for MTV to air in stereo, this was how it had to be at the time.  A
marketing decision.  Stereo TV in 1981 was rarely found in the home,
plus few cable systems even had a way to get that stereo sound to their
subscribers.  There was no stereo MTS (Multichannel Transmission
Standard) in 1981 when MTV started.  I think most cable systems that
provided MTV in stereo did so by putting the stereo audio onto an FM
radio frequency and expecting the subscriber to tune a cable-connected
FM radio to that frequency.  That's for the cable companies that put
forth the effort.  Most cable companies simply didn't bother with
stereo at all at the time.
	I vaguely recall that part of the ACR-25 mod was the inclusion of
Dolby Type "A" noise reduction, which must have helped somewhat.  That
could have been easily installed as an external Dolby unit.

	  					NBC Today Show, New York