[QuadList] was Helicals, Quads, now Marconi cameras

Guy Spiller quadruplex at verizon.net
Tue Feb 9 18:00:11 CST 2010

Hi Brian,
Well, that's one piece of Marconi equipment that I have never seen over
here.  I used CBS/Thomson "image enhancers" on all of my cameras back in
the day.... a pretty common combo.
The two cameras I have are from the very last batch of MkVIIs....and
they are in fact, MkVIIBs.  I heard that there were only fifty of these
produced with the improved yokes, flare comps and FET preamps.  This one
in my living room is S/N 415.  I've attached a pic as it stands today.
My cameras did come here through Ampex, but they never put their logos
on any MkVIIs.
I worked with earlier MkVIIs at a local station here in the late '60s
before I bought these two from Ampex (they had been repo'ed!) in '73.  I
got to know Richard Lunnis, then with Marconi and later with AF
Associates, and Pat Milton pretty well in later years and they even came
by and visited my studio, as I was the last stand for the MkVII over
here apparently. Richard even sent me a brand new, in the box, MkVII
frame, which I still have.
My cameras use TV101, as I had never heard that there was a mod to use
TV81...sure would have saved some backs hauling cable for these things
on remotes!
And to sorta get back on topic, all my Marconi camera video ended up
being recorded on quad tape, via two TR-22s, two TR-50s, a TR-5 and a TR-70.
Guy

Gideon4 wrote:
> Hi Guy
>
> With apologies to Trevor,
>
> The 3U unit below the encoder in the Marconi MkVII rack is the Marconi
> designed aperture corrector, all 3U of it. It is rare to see one working as,
> with the passage of time, the delay line are unreliable, and there are no
> spares!
>

> Pleased to see you have a pair of MkVIIs, I would be interested to know the
> serial numbers and if the are Marconi badged or Ampex ones ( Ampex were
> supposed to market the camera for Marconi??) Have your cameras got the G101
> cable connector? or were the adapted to use the more common (in the USA)
> TV81 cable.
>
> I have a MkVII in the collection, It is not in very good condition, due to
> poor storage,  and may never work again.
> http://www.tvcameramuseum.org/marconi/mk7/m_mkvii1.htm
>
> Regards
>
> Brian Summers
> UK Member