[QuadList] Early CMX Documentation

georgenann at aol.com georgenann at aol.com
Tue Feb 23 15:21:32 CST 2010

Here is a little more B.S., please don't hesitate to use your "Delete" button.

Don sure rang some bells here, the PDP-11 series computers sure were popular.  I ran across some of them in the Navy.  They were used for standalone comm  systems,  just had bigger mag disk, think it was a DEC PAC or something like that.  Had same UART problem that CMX had in comm channels. Also was used in computerized replacement for big system I ran into in Germany where it replaced a couple rooms full of equipment.  Also had 2 of them running a humongous RF switching system (Wullenweber) used all over the world in the cryptologic community.  They used 2 of them, one as a "Watchdog" on the other one in case it screwed up and took right over.

Also when I got to CBS I found the main plant computer was a Bunker Ramo computer, the same one the Navy used for an FRD-10 (?) system (UYK I forgot the number) except for some reason they left off the 4 big steel loops on the top corners used for loading it thru submarine hatches.

Also that big system in Germany, back in the real early 60's used a new thing, called "EECO CODE". This would put time of day (zulu) on an unused track on some old Ampex multitrack tape recorders.  You could read the time of day if you were looking for something you needed to play back.  The time was displayed on a bunch of vertical columns, each column for each digit in the time.  I don't remember if it read fractions of seconds.  I think it was called "EECO CODE" because everything said "EECO" on it.  Years later when this stuff arrived at CBS at first I was almost in tears, it was like meeting an old friend, but I was nervous about discussing it with anyone because I was, by habit afraid it was classified and someone would  shoot me.

I also seem to remember that years ago the PC's stole a good function from DEC's bus controller, but for the moment I don't remember what they called it.  I think it was incorporated in the newer EISA bus.

OK, now lets try an old "LETTERMAN" trick, lets all hit the "Delete" buttons at the same time and see if we can make the Internet hiccup.

DE, George Keller