[QuadList] Early CMX Documentation

bill.spencer at northstarstudios.tv bill.spencer at northstarstudios.tv
Wed Feb 24 09:43:41 CST 2010

I just went to take a picture of my Montage control panel for those who
have never seen one and it is gone!  I suppose it was a victim of
another warehouse cleaning binge.

I know CMX was a combo of CBS and Memorex as that is where it was
developed.  I remember a system at CBS LA that had a bunch of early
consumer Beta machines for the off-line portion.  It seems that was an
early Lucas project before the videodisc system; which I thought was a
CMX-6000 not 600.

I still have the two PDP-11 computers from the Montage if anyone needs
parts.  I also remember our Ampex EDM-1 (which controlled TR-600
machines so there is a quad connection to this thread) also had a PDP-11
computer.  During big productions we would route the studio output
through the Richmond-Hill switcher in the EDM-1 suite and use its' keyer
for an extra layer.  It didn't matter that we couldn't edit as all
personnel were tied up with the production!

Bill Spencer

RF Engineering Supervisor

NorthStar Studios, Inc.

3201 Dickerson Pike

Nashville, TN 37207

Phone 615.650.6000 ext. 6610

Cell 615.445.5616

Fax 615.650.6027

email bill.spencer at northstarstudios.tv

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE/HIPAA PRIVACY RULE: This message may contain
under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient (or
authorized to act on behalf of the intended recipient) of this message,
please do not disclose, forward, distribute, copy, or use this message
or its contents. If you have received this communication in error,
please notify us immediately by return e-mail and delete the original
message from your e-mail system. Thank you.