[QuadList] CMX 600--Museum piece

COURYHOUSE at aol.com COURYHOUSE at aol.com
Thu Feb 25 15:11:13 CST 2010

How large is this??
Thanks,

Ed Sharpe, Archivist for SMECC

See  Web Site at  _www.smecc.org_ (http://www.smecc.org/)

In a message dated 2/25/2010 9:40:56 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
ted at quadvideotapegroup.com writes:

On Feb 25, 2010, at 10:55 AM, Tom Werner wrote:

_quadlist at quadvideotapegroup.com_ (mailto:quadlist at quadvideotapegroup.com)
writes:
2. Re: Early CMX  Documentation (Trevor Brown)

The CMX 600 was the first CMX editing system  developed in 1969. It made
its debut at NAB in 1970. The CMX 600 was very  far ahead of its time because
not only was it the first off-line editor, it  was also truly non-linear. It
was very expensive, with a complete system  including the assembler portion
costing close to $500,000. There were only 6  systems built including the
prototype, one was a PAL system sold to Rank  Studios in London. There were 3
systems in New York, CBS, EUE Screengems,  and Teletronics. There were  2
systems in Hollywood, CBS, and CFI, with  the CFI system ending up at Trans
American Video for a while. To my  knowledge there is only one system left,
it's in my shop here in Southern  Oregon. The system in my shop was
originally the CBS New York system which  was bought by One Pass in San Francisco and
when finally taken out of  service, ended up with me.

This relic needs to be in a museum, but  since it's so big, there have been
no takers. Anyone know of any  possibilities?

Tom Werner
Southern Oregon Public  Television
Medford,  OR
541-779-