[QuadList] FW: Facebook | The Ampex ACR25 former users group

Dave Sieg dave at zfx.com
Thu Feb 25 19:25:26 CST 2010

Ian:
Well, the Oz Scanimate had an interesting history.
Image West discovered it in a Levitz Furniture warehouse in Miami and bought
it for a song.
I helped convert it to PAL (complete with huge humming step-up
transformers), then they
shipped it to Sydney and it was installed at the 9 network. I know because I
was sent to
"get it up to snuff"  (It never really was completely "up to snuff" IMHO).
If I recall correctly the 9 netowrk engineer I worked with was Dave
Rawlinson.
That is one drinking bunch of folks down there!  They used to open up a bar
in the
conference room every Friday at lunch and *nothing* got done until around
noon on Monday.

I believe you're referring to Russ Maehl, who had been an "animator" at
Image West, and appears
in the IW-15 demo reel with a big red bushy beard.  Russ immigrated to
Australia and last I heard
he is still there.  If he ended up with the machine he won't admit it!  I've
been in touch with him
recently via Facebook, or LinkedIn, can't remember which.

I've heard rumours that the Japanese Scanimate is still intact but
inscrutibly unknown.

Dave

--
Dave Sieg, President, ZFx inc.