[QuadList] CBS ACR-25's

Bill Carpenter wcarpen107 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 10 14:37:53 CST 2010

I think the most famous ACR 25's in use were the units at MTV, which were the only ones with stereo audio. When I tried to sell them replacement ACR-225's ( 1990), they were hooked on single program per cassette, and needed the 6 minute length. We could not persuade them that 256 - 30 minute cassettes would be much easier to work with than the ACR-25's. The folks at MTV also said that what the ACR-25's did for very fast, reactionary boadcasting, along with the rolling of 1" C format programs from still frames are what made this very different and unique format work.

OBTW, the stereo kits were built by the people at AMPEX Japan, and installed on-site, since they had done conversions for AVR-1's when Japan changed to stereo broadcasting

Bill Carpenter