[QuadList] story and introduction: AVR-1 tape shredding

Guy Spiller quadruplex at verizon.net
Wed Jan 13 08:20:12 CST 2010

This story brings to mind the experience I had with the one AVR-1 we had
at the PBS station where I worked way back when.
We had purchased three 1200s and a 2000 in '69, then they bought this
AVR-1 around '74 or so, from "somewhere"...I don't remember it being a
new machine.
It would occasionally do exactly what Bill described, spontaneously
turning one tape into two, and we could find no obvious reason for it
either.  It got to the point that no one would put a valuable tape on
it,  so it just sat there looking pretty.  I left the station in '76 to
start my own company and have no idea what they eventually did with it.
Guy