[QuadList] NBC Editor's Sync Guide (Was Laugh-In (was "Assemble edits vs Insert edits"))

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Fri Jan 29 00:27:23 CST 2010

David,

Thanks much for passing on the first-hand recollection from your source.

In 2002, Art Schnieder wrote a piece about the NBC Editor's Sync Guide
that is on the late Jack Calaway's Editing Museum website, which was
preserved by the Wayback Machine at http:archive.org, and is now
posted to the vtoldboys.com website.

http://www.vtoldboys.com/editingmuseum/esg.htm

There's also a sample of the ESG audio:
http://www.vtoldboys.com/editingmuseum/Esg8.mp3

I'm still amazed at the creativity that was developed in the
relatively early period of television... both the artistic creativity
in front of the camera, and what was going on technically to make it
appear on screens in the studio and at home.

Jack notes the ESG and other examples of that creativity here:
http://www.vtoldboys.com/editingmuseum/offline.htm

Park Seward now has the CMX Edge package pictured near the bottom of
the page.  I acquired it from a Sacramento television station.  It has
an interface and cables for three Sony BVH-1100's and interface for a
GVG 1600 (at the bottom of the stack.) One of the two chassis has Sony
5800/5850 interfaces.

One more item of Creativity... as related by Jack on this webpage:

http://www.trs-80.com/trs80-main-personalstories.htm
Jack L Calaway [jcalaway at ------dot com - 1/12/2007]
In the late 70's we developed an automatic video tape duplication
system for AME, Inc., Burbank, CA, using a TRS-80.
Their main business was the duplication of commercials for TV
broadcast. This is very labor intensive and easily subject to
mistakes. The process consists of cueing a video tape, selecting color
bars, then a slate, starting the video playing, selecting it then
waiting until the end of the commercial, when the operator would
select black while re-cueing the tape, and starting the process over
again, and again, and ...
So we developed a system that ran on a TRS-80 to do these functions.
The software was written in assembler, and was burned into a prom,
which replaced the original basic prom in the TRS-80.
We repainted the buttons, and gave them new labels to ease the
operators job.
We used the printer port to control the video switcher, and the serial
port to control an CMX I2 (Intelligent interface) which was connected
to an Ampex VR-2000 (used prices in those days of about $50,000).
We also added a TV sync. separator to the TRS-80 to regulate the
system timing.
This system was used so heavily, that from time to time the internal
flat cable between the TRS-80 keyboard and the mother board would break.
Cheers from Nashua, NH.
Pittsburgh next week.
In NYC on Feb. 5.

Ted

Secretary for the  QuadVideotapeGroup.com:

The flashscanHD/flashtransfer "West to California Tour"
Now demoing in Boston and the Northeast.
Get details at flashscan8.us