[QuadList] Electronic Editing Notes

dcfwtx at aol.com dcfwtx at aol.com
Fri Jan 29 10:20:19 CST 2010

Chris,

In my experience with a tape facility with RCA and Ampex edit devises, the RCA TR 70's made a more predictable edit in insert from a stability standpoint than the VR 2000. They both thad their routines and procedures for setup, and your success with the edit was generally seen by the bounce of the Colortec/Amtec/stab dots. The RCA seemed to always be a lot easier to get a real nice looking edit. Color framing also seemed more predictable on the TR 70's.

Burbank had a CMX 300 tied to four VR2000's (very early production runs). For those not familiar with the 300, it was a punch tape EDL. Off lines were done on an ISC system. I do not recall the computer that drove the CMX. One producer (now a family friend) told me that on one occasion, editor Bob Veatch had to build an entire show or promo backwards (from end of show to the top) due to a problem with the VR 2000 record deck (poor insert edits that came in too early). But, he got the job done. Just another day in the network trenches.

David Crosthwait
DC Video
www.dcvideo.com