[QuadList] Assemble edits vs Insert edits (wasOMG!!!!)

Bill Carpenter wcarpen107 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 31 16:32:14 CST 2010

Hi Don,

I have no idea what they did at that end, but they were very clever folks, with a couple of VR-1200's and a VR-1100, with everything upgraded to VR-1200, except the frame. These folks would roll this machine thru a pair of doors and down a ramp and do single camera remote pick-ups around town with their remote van which was built on a large breadtruck, maybe like the size of a 12' cube van of today, but with full walk-through access.
I sat in a bar with the Chief Engineer on the Thursday evening discussing the parade that was happening on Saturday morning. They had used the Quad previous years, so on a bar napkin I designed a simple angle iron frame to be bolted to the truck to hold the VR-7800. The next morning I saw a guy with a tape measure getting measurements of the VR-7800. When the C.E. and I came back from Lunch, we went thru the scene shop, where they had just bolted the "Napkin Design", all welded and painted, to the floor of the truck and were ready to carry out the VR-7800. On Monday they showed me the footage, which had been featured on Saturday evening, some of which was shot from the roof with the truck rolling, and they were all very happy!These were some of the most creative, "can do" folks that I had ever worked with!
Bill