[QuadList] quads on a plane?

David C. Crosthwait david at dcvideo.com
Wed Jul 7 20:17:30 CDT 2010

Hello Skip,

I can't speak as to the "big brother" aspect of surveillance via air
and quad machines. It certainly was possible given the other airborne
quad machines in use in the sixties. Here are two examples:

Number one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midwest_Program_on_Airborne_Television_Instruction
And...
http://www.chicagotelevision.com/MPATI.htm

VR 1001's can be seen in a picture in the above link and also in the
rotation on the main page at: http://www.dcvideo.com/

Number two:

Peter Groom (now deceased), editor at NBC NY, performed was was
thought to be the first 2" quad splicing of a program while on board a
converted DC 3 (?). The purpose of this effort, which involved a TR
22, was to beat the other two networks to air with the first lengthy
coverage of Winston Churchill's funeral in the UK. From the first hand
story told to me by Peter, upon the death of Winston Churchill, NBC
commissioned a crash effort to modify a DC 3 to accommodate a TR 22,
by removing almost all of the normal cabin interior, installing a
specialized power source, and flying Peter (a UK native), David
Brinkley (?), and a number of other people, to London. The plane sat
on the runway, recording the feed. Upon the conclusion of the funeral,
the plane departed. While in flight, Peter physically spliced the
tape, with Brinkley doing some VO! The plane landed in NYC, the tape
played back to a waiting microwave van, and it was fed directly to NBC
and the net.

Apparently there was spotty "live" coverage from an occasional
satellite feed (when in position). But NBC went all out to have the
first lengthy coverage.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/witness/january/24/newsid_2692000/2692293.stm

David Crosthwait
DC Video
Archived Media Transfer and Re-mastering Services
177 West Magnolia Blvd.
Burbank, CA. 91502
818-563-1073
818-563-1177 (fax)