[QuadList] Introducing myself...

Ryan Schweitzer rds at bis.midco.net
Mon Jul 26 02:31:15 CDT 2010

Hello all,

I've been subscribing to this list now for the past couple of months, mainly "lurking" it and being a quiet observer, but I felt that I should "step up" and introduce myself.

My name is Ryan Schweitzer, and I've been a dedicated A/V geek for most of my 33 years, having been involved in, or volunteered for, or employed in broadcasting (both TV and radio) off and on for the past 20 years or so here in ND where I live.  I've had a keen interest in broadcast technology (video especially) for just as long, and I'm glad to be a part of this list.

I also like to collect vintage professional/industrial & consumer video gear (I have a scrounged-together video studio set up in my 2nd bedroom of my apartment, mostly made up from surplus/castoff/2nd hand gear), complete with Alta Pyxis video switcher and Premiere-based NLE system, along with miscellaneous cameras, 16mm telecine projector (a Magnatech Enterprises-modified Elmo CL16 w/ 5-blade shutter and XLR audio out), DVD recorder, a CG, 3/4"/Hi8/Betamax/VHS VCRs, FTA satellite reciever (with re-purposed Primestar dish :)) and what not.  All I need is a transmitter & antenna, and I could practically set up my own pirate TV station :).  I've also got a few old Panasonic EIAJ-format decks, an ancient Sony CV-2100, and a intermittently tape-eating Sony BWV-40 Betacam deck in storage as well.

Amongst my collection I also have two Quad tapes as well, one of them a episode of a news magazine produced by a local TV station (KXJB in Fargo, ND) dating from 1976, and a spot reel from 1975 containing a localized promo for the Jerry Lewis MDA telethon for another local station here where I live (KXMB in Bismarck, ND), starring Jerry Lewis and my late father, who worked at the station in the 70s as a production director & on-air personality (and my influence for being interested in b'csting).  Both are high-band color tapes, IIRC, I'd like to get these transferred (especially the MDA spot), I know quite a few of you on this list are more than able to so such.

Anyhow, I find this list quite interesting, considering my keen interest in the 2" quad format (what with its historical and technological significance), and I'm glad to be a part of it...

-Ryan