[QuadList] NBC Broadcasting Pioneer Jack Weir Dies at 88--SportsVideoGroup magazine

David C. Crosthwait david at dcvideo.com
Fri Jun 4 11:27:59 CDT 2010

Jack was well known when I was there. I don't recall If I met him or
not. Perhaps on some of the early Ku sports uplinks when NBC
contracted with Comstat

?Sometime in the mid ?50s, Jack and colleagues had an idea, or more
like a vision,? Vacca says. ?He, Don Kivell, and Frank Badami sold NBC
technical management on the concept of a central department where
instant on-air management decisions would be made. From that idea
evolved the BOC [Broadcast Operations Center], the go-to place for all
operational decisions on breaking news, sports, and programs.?

Yes, BOC was the "go to place". They ran the operation. Most everyone
I worked with in BOC was very professional and courteous. Burbank
videotape was across the hall from BOC, so we conversed frequently,
especially in hectic, last minute events."

"Weir also executed the first live satellite uplink for network news
out of Selma, AL, during the days of civil disturbance.

Perhaps John Turner would know, but if I recall correctly, in 1963 or
1965 Selma events, there was no commercial C band uplinks, and I doubt
there was for news for at least 10 more years. Perhaps the writer
means that Jack broke into the network round-robin at Selma to feed
New York. But even that was a routine event for networks. So, I don't
know which Selma disturbance she is talking about.

"Weir also worked on the 1972 Moscow games that weren?t."

Munich was '72. Moscow was '80.

David Crosthwait
DC Video
Archived Media Transfer and Re-mastering Services
177 West Magnolia Blvd.
Burbank, CA. 91502
818-563-1073
818-563-1177 (fax)