[QuadList] frost nixon film

James Paterson james at oldtvgear.com
Wed Jun 9 22:15:06 CDT 2010

Here are some shots from the film for everyone to see, notice the supposed
1974 color monitor where he views the "live" broadcast from australia in
full color

most stations kept their B&W monitors for a loooong time...only certain ones
needed to be color for calibration purposes or checking, this type of
monitor has to be from the early 90s as the station i worked at
replaced their late 70's, early 80's wooden grain domestic color studio
monitor with these in around 1990

also some shots of the incorrect studio and cameras as previously discussed
and also a shot of the lense.

the more i look at it the more that studio looks "american", those pedestals
i dont recognise either...and even the audience/extras looks american to me
.

Sorry i think its poor to make a historical film and just slap on an actor
with a bad english like accent in the background and portray he is
australian, a couple ATN7 camera stickers on COLOR american cameras and use
a 90's color monitor to portray we had live satellite link ups in color, and
standards converted ....

I know most of the public wont notice or probably care but when your making
historical films based on fact, you should make it as accurate as
possible... wasnt it someones job to research all this?

The seven network once color was introduced also changed its logo to the 7
inside a colored circle

Simple search on publicly available records reveal my observations were
correct about the Marconi MKIII cameras being used (see actual image from
production) - also the common counterweight type pedestal used right into
the color era until possibly early 80's

Title for B&W photo: [FROST OVER AUSTRALIA. IMMIGRATION : MR AL GRASSBY
MINISTER FOR IMMIGRATION SITTING IN FRONT OF AN ATN CHANNEL 7 CAMERA WITH
HIS ARM OUT IN FRONT OF HIM]  Aug 1973

also included is a late 1974 image from the series, shows my other
observation was correct about the marconi MKVIII color cameras being newly
installed sometime in 1974 ready for color in 75

I guess in the USA where it was shot, there are no marconi (british) cameras
so they thought using norelcos nobody would notice!

Hope you've found it all interesting this info anyhow...

also this all happened before i was even born!

James