[QuadList] frost nixon film

James Paterson james at oldtvgear.com
Wed Jun 9 23:32:39 CDT 2010

exactly,

I know its not always possible to get the correct items, or other things historically correct and then there are other things like mis-communication with the director
time constraints or last minute bungles...it all depends a lot on the time allowed on set to "get it right", as well as budgetary constraints as well.

The thing is, for example with the cameras...if you couldnt obtain any correct cameras for the australian scene and make it "period accurate", in my opinion they should  just shot the cameras from behind as silloheuttes or just had the camera side of the studio in darkness with a few red lights visible, so it wasnt apparent it wasnt correct..but still didnt destroy the scene.

It seems the interview scenes with the TK44's were well researched and they were able to get correct cameras...and as such they used it well to their advantage in many close ups etc.  Yet the australian scenes dont seem researched at all, despite only taking me seconds of googling to find those photos and other historical clues.

The risk is with any historical re-creation...is if you dont pay attention to the details..what you are presenting as historic will often become fact later on down the track some people...and if you get it very wrong...then it risks becoming fact

Classic example was a nostalgic special on a talent show we had in oz, a vlack and white clip was playing and the voiceover was discussing the arrival of color, as the voiceover said the word color, a wipe went over the screen to color, basically making out this was the moment that station switched to color and this was the show that was chosen to do it.  Actual fact this segment was shot around 4 years after color and was color the whole way through.  To this day i get many people believing this was historical footage of the moment color was switched on,,,,

to an earlier question about color in australia

We were planning to go to color for a long time, at one  point it was beleived we were to switch the same time as england in around 68.69 and some stations even began shooting promos on color film in readiness, but the goovernment at the time kept putting it off and off, we certainly did some specials for the US and Britain in color in the early 70's, I beleive channel 9 in melbourne did this, and they were an all "bosch fernseh" camera station for color using the KCU-40 which served them until about 1993 !   I'm pretty sure also by the 70's most telecine and video equipment was color capable, often playing to air but with the color removed....i have heard storys some programs were airing in color prior to 1975, but technically they werent really allowed to be doing this.

James