[QuadList] Non-Contact Method of Recovering Data from Obsolete Formats." - 2" Quad??

Pat Shevlin pshevlin at themediapreserve.com
Thu Jun 10 07:57:56 CDT 2010

Ted,

Thought the group would find this information interesting.

One of our sales & marketing guy that is stationed at the Library of
Congress attended a conference regarding a non-contact method of recovering
data from obsolete formats.  Keep in mind he is not a technical person so
take it for what it's worth.  I have not spoken to him yet about this
conference.

Pat,

Here is the announcement about the "non-contact" method of dealing with
tapes presentation on Monday at the Library of Congress.

I missed the first five minutes, but the guy was very vague about how the
non-contact method got the data.  He gave more details about how they
planned to store it.   The deliverable would be a large format-agnostic
database.   They would store the data as a big SQL database.  He also said
they pull the FM envelope off of a tape and give the customer the info.
It sounded like they were working mainly with 2" quad right now.

In general, it was kind of a vague presentation.

Bill